Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Shirts and Skins - Soccer in the Village


























I arrived back at the guest house at 3 o’clock South Asia time yesterday from what has been a long four day journey. The first day we went to a village and visited a few of their little store huts.

I was then invited afterward to go play soccer with some of the kids in the village at the local high school which is nothing more than a couple run down little shacks. Our translator broke us up into teams but as soon as he did the head of the village came out and switched the teams making sure to put me on the other team.

I very quickly discovered why. This was a game of shirts and skins and they wanted to know what a white guy looked like with his shirt off. The field that we played on was nothing short of actually being a slip-in-slide covered in mud. I am not a huge fan of soccer and do not even play it back in the states but this was by far the most fun I have ever had with a soccer ball.

Afterward we presented one of the soccer balls to them as a present.


No comments:

Post a Comment